- Age: 30
- Nationality: USA
- Where was your adventure?: Vietnam
- How many days was it?: 5
- What type of adventure?: Cycling
- Give us a general overview of your adventure:
3 day mountain biking in the Sapa region of northern Vietnam. My colleague (and travel partner) used Handspan Travel. The trip was in March 2005. After leaving the town of Sapa, we did not see a single other tourist. Our group consisted of myself and my travel companion, our guide, and the support vehicle driver. We had the chance to visit traditional homes and see several of the ethnic minority tribes. It was beautiful!
- Was it difficult?: yes
Why or why not?
The region is hilly. I heard a rumor it was called the Vietnamese Alps. And it was hot. Actually, the mountain town of Sapa was freezing and very foggy, but after we left that town, it was extremely hot. It was also difficult because the food was not that great. In general the food in vietnam is amazing but the small towns and roadside stands were not as good.
- Would you recommend this adventure trip to someone else? Why or Why Not?
I would definitely recommend this trip. And I would recommend Handspan. They are happy to adjust the itinerary to your needs, the guide was terrific, and it is very affordable. And you get to see a part of Vietnam that is totally unique.
- What do you wish you would have done differently?
I wouldn’t have done anything differently.
- What kind of advice can you give to other travellers going on this adventure?
Be prepared for all kinds of weather.
- What type of gear did you bring?
Sneakers, a poncho, bike shorts. They provided bikes, helmets, and gloves.
- Where is your next big adventure? Why?
Not sure yet.
- Did you travel before or after your adventure? If so, where?
- On your adventure, what person did you most identify with?
In BootsnAll’s adventure travel section, we are highlighting different people’s adventures around the world. We need your help. Have you ever done a great rafting trip? Climbed a huge (or small) peak? Or done an amazing adventure that you wouldn’t mind sharing with others? It could even be something random like finding a cool remote village, snow shoeing, riding a motorcycle through a country – anything that has a little taste of adventure.
Fill out our Adventure Traveler Interview