- Age: 29
- Nationality: France
- Where was your adventure?: Laos
- How many days was it?: 3
- What type of adventure?: Trekking
- Give us a general overview of your adventure:
We did a 3-day trek around Luang Prabang in Laos. We actually did the trekking tour only because the company didn’t tell us we could do a “combination tour,” combining mountain biking, rafting, kayaking and elephant riding. The trek was still wonderful.
- Was it difficult?: yes
Why or why not?
It wasn’t that difficult, but the trail was the “tiger trail.” There was a lot of tall grass, and a bit difficult for tall people who had to crouch.
- Would you recommend this adventure trip to someone else? Why or Why Not?
The treks organised in the region go through local tribal villages with minimum impact. It is good to see that tourism does not affect local people’s life in the usual negative way, kids don’t come up to you to beg for candies, pens or cash, which is really refreshing. The contribution trekkers can do is to give money to the school or directly to the village chief for purchase of useful things such as a generator.
The locals are generally very happy to see visitors. Besides the trek itself through valleys and forests, it is quite an experience to shower in the river with the villagers and sleep in the chief’s house.
- What do you wish you would have done differently?
I wish they had told us in advance we could combine it with kayaking because the third day of trekking was basically a trek back to the river to get on the boat back to Luang Prabang.
- What kind of advice can you give to other travellers going on this adventure?
Do the combo trek!
- What type of gear did you bring?
I brought walking shoes, cameras, sarongs for showering.
- Where is your next big adventure? Why?
I am going hiking in the himalayas in Kalpa, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Did you travel before or after your adventure? If so, where?
Before and after it was part of our tour of South East Asia.
- On your adventure, what person did you most identify with?
We are developing a new section on BootsnAll’s adventure section, highlighting different people’s adventures around the world, and we need your help. Have you ever done a great rafting trip? Climbed a huge (or small) peak? Or done an amazing adventure that you wouldn’t mind sharing with others? It could even be something random like finding a cool remote village, snow shoeing, riding a motorcycle through a country – anything that has a little taste of adventure.
Fill out our Adventure Traveler Interview